It might sound a bit alarmist to say that AI could potentially go “rogue” in 2019, but that’s exactly what’s being predicted for the upcoming year! We are pretty sure everyone (if they existed) who poo-pooed Skynet developing a neural network-based conscious hive-mind are a bit embarrassed for the doubters. AI has thus far proved itself far more valuable than it’s proved itself racist, ruthless (i.e. unfairly denying loans) or annoying – but that doesn’t mean we aren’t at risk! After all, AI learns… Let’s think about the risks.
1. Who is developing fastest in the “AI Race” and what kind of values, goals and intentions do they have? When asked his opinion of AI, a well-known world leader said, “Whoever becomes the leader in this sphere will become the ruler of the world.” Sounds lovely!
2. “Global Surveillance State” sounds a bit scary – but how far down this road have we already traveled? London & Beijing are one of the most heavily surveilled cities in the world with around 422,000 CCTV cameras. Fun fact: The official name of the Beijing CCTV system is “Skynet.”
3. AI in healthcare presents endless possibilities, but statistically and personally speaking, an emotionless super-tech-entity isn’t who I want making my life and death decisions.
4. Autonomous Weapons. Enough said.
5. It’s a rare day when I make eye contact on my morning commute. I’m playing games on my phone. Will we eventually be more comfortable with the lack of human intimacy that AI provides and forget how to connect? Craig Hawley says it well in his article The Human Element of Artificial Intelligence
, “AI is a means to an end – not a replacement for the human element.”
AI is in its early stages and still has a lot to learn. Let’s start slowly. One of the places where there are several schools of thought is how AI enables or hinders cyber security.
About Sangfor Technologies
Sangfor thinks the difference is in the human element – illustrated above. Sangfor Technologies uses AI to enable human IT administrators and organizations to keep their networks safe and secure. For instance, Neural-X is at the center of a sophisticated web of Sangfor developed network security elements. As a cloud-based intelligence and analytic platform powered by AI, Neural-X
powers and expands security detection capabilities for Sangfor's network, endpoint, and security-as-a-service offerings.
Get in touch with us at https://www.sangfor.com
to check out Neural-X and the host of other powerful network optimization, network security and cloud computing solutions, powered by AI but respectful of this infant power. We enable the people who enable AI!
Founded in 2000 and a publicly traded company as of 2018 (SANGFOR STOCK CODE: 300454 (CH)) Sangfor Technologies is the global leading vendor of IT infrastructure solutions specializing in Network Security and Cloud Computing.