When I say next-generation firewall is the insurance you need for network security, what does that mean? We get insurance on the things we can’t afford to live without. People insure everything from their cars, homes and apartments to their body parts, intellectual acuity and jobs. We buy insurance from organizations for our property, and we also seek emotional insurance by building long-term and trusting relationships with our co-workers, partners and peers, in hopes of future support. In short, we plan for disaster, but hope for the best in our lives.
Shouldn’t we take the same advice when it comes to network security? Plan for the worst, and hope for the best. No ransomware or malware solution is 100% effective. There are simply too many risks out there on the internet. One of the first investments most enterprises make in their journey to increased malware protection and network security, is the deployment of a next generation firewall.
What is Next-Generation Firewall
Next-generation firewall, sometimes referred to as NGFW, is the evolution of stateful network firewall. A firewall is a network security device designed to filter incoming and outgoing traffic for anomalies, based on IP address and ports. A next generation firewall has the added benefit of application control, integrated malware protection, sandboxing, and other advanced network security capabilities like threat intelligence and machine learning.
How is Next-Generation Firewall Different than Traditional Firewall?
The difference between traditional firewall and next-generation firewall is in the details. Firewall is used as a type of insurance against cyber-attack, preparing for the worst. Traditional firewall is like getting “liability coverage” for your car, where insurance only covers some issues or accidents, or “full coverage” insurance on your car, for security in every situation. Let’s explore a few ways NGFW is different from traditional firewall.
Benefits of Next-Generation Firewall
- Application-Level Security Functions: Intrusion Protection Systems (IPS) and Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) improve packet-content filtering, as well as identification an analysis of any irregular activities or threat signatures that might indicate an attacker.
- Single Console Access: A single management console vastly simplifies maintenance and regular updates and configurations.
- Multi-Layered Protection: NGFW provides layer 2-7 protection.
- Simplified Infrastructure: Security protocols are updated from a single authorized device, simplifying a traditionally complex infrastructure.
- Optimal Use of Network Speed: NGFW enables optimum throughput for all devices connected to the network and security protocols, without the slowdowns of traditional overwhelmed firewall.
- Antivirus, Ransomware and Spam Protection & Endpoint Security: Antivirus, ransomware, spam and malware protection, along with endpoint security to protect data and help with monitoring and control of cyber threats.
- Capability to Implement Role-based Access: User-identity control and detection for both individuals and groups, allowing organizations to set role-based access for data and content.
Sangfor NGAF - The Next-Generation Firewall
Sangfor Next-Generation Application Firewall (NGAF) takes the stress out of network security, allowing administrators to focus on the business of staying in business. Sangfor’s’ NGFW provides the stable operation, intrusion prevention, and integration with security devices and reporting functions, needed for best-in-class security.
Sangfor NGAF detects and prevents a variety of malicious attack and virus types by monitoring all traffic and access logs, and using traceability functions to provide better visibility and control. NGAF is proven valuable for enterprise requiring protection from vulnerability scanning, SQL injection, website defacement, brute force attack and even weak passwords.
As the future of cyber-insurance is certainly in question, as it seems to invite attack and mayhem, we must all consider what the future of cyber-security will be. Will it be moving to more traditional protections for more advanced threats? Unlikely. Next-generation firewall is the natural progression of the more traditional firewall, meaning it’s capable of handing more modern and malicious attack types. For more information on NGFW, Sangfor, or any of Sangfor’s suite of network security, cloud and infrastructure solutions, visit us online, and let Sangfor make you IT simpler, more secure and valuable.