Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), an innovation-led Research University, is located both in Kuala Lumpur, the capital city of Malaysia, and Johor Bahru, the southern city in Iskandar Malaysia, which is a vibrant economic corridor in the south of Peninsular Malaysia. UTM is a graduate-focused university with the highest percentage (56%) of its student population consisting of postgraduate students in Malaysia. As of 2015, UTM had more than 5,000 international students from more than 120 countries.
• No internet access visibility
• No internet access policy control
Business Pain Points
With a wide range of users to serve, the university had become a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) environment, where users provide their own laptop, tablet or smartphone. The UTM IT team faced the following challenges to maintain network access quality and a positive user experience:
1. With a wide range of users to serve during peak hours, it was difficult for UTM to ensure network access quality for every user.
2. Mobile and web applications had become mainstream, affecting the network access quality.
3. Management difficulties were increasing as newly developed mobile and web applications expanded rapidly and their existing solution became outdated.
Sangfor Solution - Sangfor Internet Access Management Solution (IAM)
UTM sought a new solution that could be deployed immediately without impact to their existing network structure. They tried different solutions and found that Sangfor IAM met their requirements perfectly with several advantages.
1. IAM's flexibility in deployment options, meant that they could deploy in transparent mode, meaning the network topology could remain the same, with minimal changes to the existing customer network structure.
2. The Sangfor IAM solution provides the latest mobile and web application database, updated daily from the cloud server, and able to recognize most newly developed and outdated mobile and web applications.
3. To ensure network access quality, Sangfor IAM can manage and allocate bandwidth to different users based on application categories, with a more flexible time schedule.
4. Visibility is the very first step the UTM IT management team needs to manage users. The IAM reporting center impressed the management team with graphical reports, showing detailed network statistics and analysis.