So, with all the changes, updates and features offered by network security companies with varied specialties and capabilities, what criteria should one consider when choosing a network hardware firewall vendor? Here are 5 tips that you want to consider when choosing an NGFW vendor.
1. Functionalities & Capabilities of a Network FirewallThe basic function of a network firewall is to create a barrier between the trusted internal network and the dangerous external network, and to prevent unauthorized users from accessing either network and causing mayhem. But not all network security firewalls are created equal. Easy management, threat prevention, application inspection and control, identity-based inspection and control, scalable performance and encrypted traffic inspection are just a few functions you will want standard with your new NGFW.
2. Integration with Third-Party SolutionsAs an integral part of your network security, your next generation firewall must be able to communicate with your other security devices such as Endpoint Protection, Secure Web Gateway, and Network Detection & Response tools. With all the IT we need to make an enterprise run in 2021, it’s rare to have every element of the network supplied by the same hardware or solution provider. It is important that this critical element of your network security protection can integrate and work cohesively with solutions from other vendors. Network firewall solutions who don’t play well with others typically don’t have a very long shelf life.
3. Existing Customer ReviewsExisting customers are the best source for honest reviews of products they use daily. They know the ins and outs of a product in more detail than some software developers and solution providers, making them a valuable part of any firewall hardware deployment decision. The absolute best place to get real world information about security products you are considering for your business are customer reviews like the ones found at Gartner’s Peer Insights page.
4. Global FootprintOne element many businesses fail to consider is the global footprint of the vendor they are considering. IT requirements and threats are different in every country, and often vary wildly between areas of the same country. It is crucial to work with a vendor who knows the challenges you will face and can provide the protection you need. Some of the larger firewall vendors offer their products in every country, but you may find that they do not offer localized customer service, or any customer service at all.
5. Customer ServiceIt is no secret many vendors are known for how poor their customer service is. It is important to work with a vendor who has a long relationship with their resellers and customers – the best indicator of a good product and company. The best customer service is available 24/7 and offers help in multiple languages from professionals who specialize in local and regional IT requirements. Check into after-sales service for any network firewall security provider you consider – before it’s too late.
Considering these elements carefully at the outset of your search for a hardware firewall vendor will serve you well. For any CSO, CIO, or IT administrator, network security is a main KPI and choosing the best firewall is a primarily concern. Since buying NGFW is a big and expensive commitment and you will be using it for years to come you need to be very careful before making any decision.
For more information on network firewalls like Sangfor’s award winning NGAF, and the features and functions that have made it the industry standard, talk to a friendly Sangfor Technologies representative – and get the full story.
Sangfor Technologies is an APAC-based, global leading vendor of IT infrastructure and security solutions specializing in Network Security and Cloud Computing. Visit us at www.sangfor.com to learn more about Sangfor's Security solutions and ransomware protection, and let Sangfor make your IT simpler, more secure and valuable.